Ready in: 1 hour
Complexity: very easy
- 3 quarts distilled or pure water
- 1 lb. green or pink lentils
- 1 Large Vidalia or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos (optional)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cooked brown rice for garnish
In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. In a strainer, rinse the lentils, checking for stones.
Add lentils, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Skim the foam off of the stock, and add the vegetables and spices.
Continue to cook, skimming the foam as needed and stirring often to avoid scorching.
When lentils are mushy and the soup has thickened as a result, adjust the spices and serve. Garnish with brown rice.
- Per serving: calories 137
- protein 9g
- fat 0g
- carbohydrate 25g
- fiber 4g
- calcium 42mg
- sodium 298mg