Ready in: 1 hour
Complexity: very easy
- 2 yellow or Vidalia onions
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow or orange bell peppers
- 1 small eggplant, unpeeled
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 3 large vine-ripe tomatoes, cored, or one 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- One 12-ounce can tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, with seeds removed, very finely chopped
- One 15-ounce can kidney or pinto beans
- One 15-ounce can black beans
Cut all the vegetables into 1-inch cubes.
In a large pot, heat the vegetable broth and sauté the onions and garlic until brown.
Add the peppers, eggplant, zucchini, and squash, and continue cooking until slightly tender.
Add the diced tomato and puree, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, bay leaves, and continue cooking until well blended.
Drain the liquid from the canned beans, rinse beans, and fold into the vegetable mixture. Cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Adjust the seasonings to taste.
Per serving: Calories 253, Protein 11 g, Fat 2 g, Carbohydrate 46 g, Fiber 10 g, Calcium 84 mg, Sodium 32 mg